Angling regulations on the River Bush
This is a short guide to the rules and regulations when angling on the River Bush, which apply in Northern Ireland. It is not a comprehensive guide. More information is available in the angling regulations section.
River Bush regulations
- the River Bush operates as a catch and release fishery for salmon or sea trout at all times.
- Town stretch fishing is from both banks. Dundarave stretch fishing is from both banks but access is easier from the right (East) bank in the vicinity of the golf club. Otherwise fishing is from the left (West) bank only
- fly fishing and worm fishing are permitted at all times. Shrimp fishing is only permitted on the Town and New stretches
- spinning is not permitted when the red section is visible on the marker posts erected at the head of each stretch. Prawns may not be used
- day tickets are not transferable
- full day tickets are valid between 8.00 am and 10.00 pm or one hour after sunset, whichever is the earlier on the date stated. Half day tickets are valid on the date stated between either 8.00 am and 2.00 pm or 2.00 pm and 10.00 pm or one hour after sunset or, whichever is the earlier. Evening tickets are only issue after 3.00 pm on the day and are valid from 5.00 pm and 10.00 pm or one hour after sunset or, whichever is the earlier
- the catch return for each ticket must be completed and returned on completion of fishing (see below for further details)
- all foul hooked fish must be returned gently to the river
- the day ticket, DCAL game rod licence and permit (if applicable), must be produced when requested by an authorised officer of DCAL
It is very important that fish caught by anglers downstream (on the Dundarave, New and Town stretches) are recorded to give an accurate count of all fish that return to the river in any year. Catches are also recorded for the Leap stretch.
Information is collected on all angling and details of fish caught should be recorded in full. Even when nothing is caught a nil return should be made.
Anglers are asked to submit their completed catch returns by using the post box on the front gate of the station or by normal post to the address below.River Bush Salmon Station
21 Church Street
Telephone: 0300 200 7860 (outside NI + 4428 9151 3101)