Skip to content

How to apply for student finance - after your first year

You will need to complete a new student finance application for each year of your university or college course. Applications can be made online or on paper. This page tells you how to apply for finance for the 2014/2015 academic year.

How to apply for finance after your first year

You must make a separate student finance application for every year you are in higher education. Student Finance NI will automatically send you information about how to apply for the new academic year, so ensure that you keep them up to date with your contact details. If you don’t get this information, you can still apply online - or contact Student Finance NI and ask them to send a form to you. It’s best to apply as soon as possible – but you can still apply up to nine months from the first day of the academic year.

If you’ve applied for student finance before, you won’t have to send in any further evidence to support your application unless there has been a change in your circumstances - for example, to your household income or your marital status.

Full-time students: apply for student finance

Apply online

Full-time students can save time by applying online for the 2014/2015 academic year. All the relevant information from your previous application will be available online, even if you applied on paper last time.

Alternatively, you can download and fill in application form PR1. For some types of extra support, you’ll need to complete a separate form on paper.

Part time students

You must apply for financial help for each year of your course. To apply, fill in the application form for part-time student finance (PTG1) and take it to your university or college when you start your course. The college administration office will complete the rest of the form - you should then send it to your local Student Finance NI office.

If your circumstances change while you are studying

Changes to your circumstances while you are studying could affect how much financial help you get. You must let your local Student Finance NI office know as soon as possible if:

  • your marital status changes
  • your income, or your household income, goes up or down
  • you change your course or institution
  • you repeat or defer a year of your course
  • you leave your course early

What happens to your application

Once you have submitted your application, it follows a similar route to your original application for financial help. But it’s generally more straightforward since you will usually have supplied much of the information before.

More useful links