Full-time students: finance packages
There are two standard finance packages for continuing full-time students. As a general rule one is available to students who started in or after September 2006, and the other to those who started earlier. But there are some exceptions – use this page to check which is available to you.
Which financial help package do you qualify for?
There are two different packages of financial help for full-time higher education students. As a general rule, which one is available to you depends on whether you started your course:
- in or after September 2006, or
- before September 2006
But there are some circumstances under which you will be treated in the same way as a student who started in the 2005/2006 academic year, even if you actually started your course in 2006/2007.
Who the 2005/2006 rules for student finance apply to
The 2005/2006 rules for student finance will apply if you:
- started your course before September 2006
- took up a deferred place in September 2006 after taking a gap year in the 2005/2006 academic year
- transferred from a course that started before September 2006
- were not able to take up your place at university or college in 2005/2006 because of your A level results, successfully appealed and started in 2006/2007 instead
- started an 'end-on' degree course in 2006/2007 after completing a Foundation Degree, Higher National Certificate, Higher National Diploma or Diploma of Higher Education course in 2005/2006
The 2005/2006 rules for student finance will apply to you if you took an approved gap year in 2005/2006, gained an exemption, and took up your place in 2006/2007. To qualify as a gap year student with exemption, your university or college must have confirmed that your place was deferred by 1 August 2005. If you transfer from a course that started before September 2006, the 2005/2006 rules for student finance will continue to apply to you. However, you should speak to your university or college to find out what tuition fees you will be charged for your new course.
What financial help can you get?
If the 2005/2006 rules apply to you, see ‘Student Finance after your first year’ for a guide to the financial help available. Otherwise, the rules for students starting in or after September 2006 will apply.