Do you want to improve your reading, writing maths or ICT skill, or know someone who needs help with these essential skills? If you are over the age of 16 an Essential Skills course may help you to get on at home, work or in life.
Benefits of doing an Essential Skills course
An Essential Skills course will help you to improve your:
- reading, writing, speaking and listening
- working with numbers
- use of computers and technology
All Essential Skills courses are free. You can do them in a college, at work or with a community organisation at different times of the day. The classes are small and informal. Crèche facilities may also be available.
You will be able to:
- learn at your own pace
- practise how to use the skills you learn in everyday situations
- gain qualifications that employers will recognise
Why Essential Skills are important
Essential Skills courses can be really life changing. They have helped people to:
- read a newspaper for the first time to find out what is happening in their community
- fill in an application form and get a job as a result
- read notes from their children’s school
- help their children with their homework for the first time
- use the internet to keep in touch with family and friends
Where to get help
If you would like information on how to improve your ability to read, write, use mathematics and improve your computer skills, or have a friend or family member who would like help, the first step is to find an Essential Skill Course.
The information advisor will then work with you on the best available options. With such a variety of courses available in Northern Ireland there is something to suit everyone.