Exemptions from serving as a juror
Most people aged between 18 and 70 can be summoned as a juror. However, some people will not complete jury service.
Reasons for not completing jury service
Some people will not complete jury service are because they are:
- not qualified for jury service
- disqualified for jury service
- ineligible for jury service
- excusable from jury service as of right
The information that is sent out when a person has been summonsed to be a juror will explain these in more detail but generally:
- a person who is on bail is not qualified to serve on a jury in the Crown Court
- a person would be disqualified from serving on a jury if -
- they had at any time been convicted and sentenced to a period of imprisonment of five years or more, or
- they had within the last 10 years served a period of imprisonment or detention, received a suspended sentence of imprisonment or detention, or received a community service order, or
- they had within the last five years been placed on probation
- a person would be ineligible for jury service if they are:
- concerned with the administration of justice, or
- are a member of the Forces, or
- are suffering from a mental disorder within the meaning of the Mental Health (NI) order 1986, or
- they are unable to understand the English language.
- a person may be excusable from jury service as of right if they fall within one of the listed categories within the Juries (NI) Order 1996 - this list is included in the information sent out to a potential juror.
Deferral or Excusal
If you are summoned to attend for jury service the judge has certain powers to defer your service until a later date or to excuse you for that sitting or in respect of a particular trial or period of time if you have a good reason.
Details of how to make an application for deferral or excusal will be contained in the information sent out when a person has been summonsed as a juror.
If you have been called for jury service and need more information, contact the Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals Service Customer Service Centre on:
- 028 7126 1329 (From 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday)
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org