Bogus callers and con-type burglaries
Bogus callers make up stories and give false information to trick or worry you into leaving your house or letting them in. They can be male or female, of any age and appearance.
Tips on stopping bogus or unknown callers
Bogus callers may pretend to be police officers, council or social workers, or that they work for a company such as the Water Service or PowerNI (previously NIE) so they can steal money or property from your home. You can reduce the risk of this type of crime if you take a few simple precautions.
If you are not expecting a caller:
- use a security chain or door bar
- ask for identification and check it before letting them in (see Quick Check below)
- ask them to call back when you have company
This new service is a partnership which involves Virgin Media, FOLD Telecare and the police.
If you have an unexpected caller at your door:
- get their name and the details of who they say they work for
- ask them to wait while you check them out by calling 0800 013 2290
- you will be invited to give the details of the person to the Quick Check operator
- they will ask you to wait while they check the information you have been given with the organisation concerned
- if they confirm that the person is valid then it is safe to let them in
This service is available all day and all year round and remember if you are in doubt check out your caller with Quick Check.
If you have door security devices please use them every time you answer the door, but especially when dark.
Some councils and other community organisations operate home security initiatives to assist homeowners and occupiers with reducing the fear of crime. If concerned, check in your local area.
If you are a victim of such a crime you should in an emergency dial 999 for non emergency matters and general enquires dial 101(if you are a Tesco mobile or giffgaff user call 02890 9065 0222)
Alternatively if you know someone who is carrying out this type of crime, or any crime, you can ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 500 111.