Carer's Allowance - changes in circumstances
It's important to report any changes in circumstances for yourself, the person you are caring for, or a dependent adult or child. This can affect whether you can receive Carer's Allowance or the amount you might get.
Changes you need to report
Changes in your circumstances that you should report include:
- changes to income or employment for you or a dependent adult
- changes to, or new benefits for you, the person you are caring for, or a dependent adult or child
- if you or a dependent adult go into full-time education (21 hours or more a week of supervised study)
- if a dependent child re-enters or leaves full time education
- change of address for you, a dependent adult or the person you're caring for
- breaks in caring - such as holidays or a stay in hospital
You also need to report a temporary or permanent move abroad.
If you are leaving Northern Ireland to live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you may continue to receive Carer's Allowance if you meet certain conditions.
Temporary breaks in caring
You can still receive Carer's Allowance if you take a temporary break from caring in the following circumstances:
- if you receive treatment as an in-patient in a hospital or similar institution - your Carer's Allowance can be paid for up to 12 weeks in any 26 week period (depending on whether you have also had breaks from caring for other reasons)
- if the person you care for receives treatment as an in-patient in a hospital or similar institution - your Carer's Allowance can be paid for up to 12 weeks in any 26 week period - however, your Carer's Allowance will stop if the person's Disability Living Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance or Attendance Allowance stops (for adults this is normally after they have been in hospital for four weeks)
- if you go on holiday, or the person you care for has a holiday or a stay in a care home - your Carer's Allowance may be paid for up to four weeks in any 26 week period
The maximum break you can take without your Carer's Allowance being affected is 12 weeks in any 26 week period. You can get further advice about the rules from the Disability and Carers Service.
Reporting changes in circumstances
It's important that you contact the Disability and Carers Service to report any change in circumstances.