On this page you will find featured government consultations that are currently running.
Consultation on the draft Bicycle Strategy for Northern Ireland
The Department for Regional Development (DRD) is seeking your views on the draft Bicycle Strategy for Northern Ireland which sets out, over a 25 year period, how the department plans to make Northern Ireland a cycling community.
The Department has outlined in the draft strategy the issues which it considers to be key in establishing a cycling culture in Northern Ireland. A series of consultation events will be held during October 2014, these will include events in rural areas.
You can download the document and find out more, including how to respond, at the following link.
Deadline for response - 21 November 2014
Consultation on the Independent Living Fund (ILF)
The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) is seeking your views on how current users of the Independent Living Fund in Northern Ireland can be supported from 1 July 2015.
The department, in collaboration with the ILF Advisory Group has developed five proposed options for consideration in Northern Ireland. These options are;
- Option 1 - Do nothing - current payments will stop and ILF users in NI will have no element of support.
- Option 2 - Successor Body - established to administer the fund in a similar manner to current arrangements.
- Option 3 - Transfer funding and responsibility to Health and Social Care Trusts - who have the expertise and skills necessary in assessing people to determine the level of social care required.
- Option 4 - Transfer funding to Health and Social Care Trusts with preserved rights for existing ILF users in NI - to seek to ring fence existing ILF packages for the lifetime of the user.
- Option 5 - Transfer funding to the Health and Social Care Board (with preserved rights for existing ILF users in NI) to provide a regional / centralised service – will see the HSC Board providing a regional or centralised service on behalf of the five HSC Trusts.
You can download documents and find out more, including how to respond from the DHSSPS website at the following link.
Deadline for responses - 30 November 2014
Consultation on abortion legislation
The Department of Justice is seeking your views on proposals to amend the criminal law on abortion to allow for termination of pregnancy in cases of lethal foetal abnormality and sexual crime.
The consultation paper considers legislative changes in two specific sets of circumstances. Firstly on lethal foetal abnormality, the paper recommends a proposal to allow clinical judgement to determine when a foetal condition is incompatible with life, meaning that no treatment will be offered after birth, as it is deemed impossible to improve the chances of survival. This would enable a woman to decide at the point when such a judgement is made, usually at the 20 week scan, whether or not she wanted to continue with the pregnancy.
The second circumstance is to provide women, who have become pregnant as a result of a sexual crime, with a choice of terminating such a pregnancy
You can download documents and find out more, including how to respond from the DOJ website at the following link.