Skip to content

Health professional courses

If you are planning a degree course in physiotherapy, occupational therapy, radiography, speech and language therapy, podiatry or dietetics at the University of Ulster you will have different funding arrangements from other higher education students.

For those taking Health Professional courses

Under these funding arrangements, which also apply to students from England, Wales and Scotland who are studying in Northern Ireland, you may not be liable to pay the tuition fee.

You may be eligible to apply for an income-assessed bursary to assist with living costs. In addition you may also be eligible to apply for a reduced rate non-income assessed loan.

Students from EU countries who are studying in Northern Ireland may also be exempt from paying the tuition fee but they will not be eligible for any bursary or loan that may cover living costs.

The amount of bursary you may receive will depend on your own and your family's income. You may also get extra allowances, for example, if you are disabled or have dependants. Your local Student Finance NI office will be able to advise you.

How to apply

Studying in Northern Ireland

If you are a Northern Ireland student you should apply to your Student Finance NI office. Your Student Finance NI office will assess your bursary entitlement using the information provided on the application form for student finance, that is PN1 or PR1 form.

If you live in England, Wales or Scotland you should apply to Student Finance Northern Ireland by telephoning 0300 100 0077.

Studying in England, Wales and Scotland

If you intend to enter a degree in one of the health care professions in England, Wales or Scotland the arrangements are somewhat different but the assistance available is broadly the same.

Places attracting bursaries may be limited and if you do not get a bursary you should apply for support from your Student Finance NI office in the same way as other new students.

If a college in England offers you a place on a health professional course which is funded by the NHS, they will supply you with an application pack. You should complete your application as soon as possible and send it to the Students Grants Unit.

If you plan to study in Scotland and have been offered a place which is funded by the NHS you should contact the Student Awards Agency for Scotland.

For study in Wales, NHS bursaries are provided by the Student Awards Unit in the Human Resources Division (HRD) of the National Assembly for Wales.

3rd Floor
14 Cathedral Road
CF11 9LJ
Telephone: 029 2019 6167

Medical and dental courses

In Northern Ireland the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Ssfety (DHSSPS) will provide bursaries for pre-registration students of medicine and dentistry in their fifth and later years of study in the UK.

Support for your first four years of study will be on the same basis as for other higher education students, so that if you started in 2011/2012 a DHSSPS bursary will become payable from 2015/2016.

During the period for which the bursary is payable, the DHSSPS will pay your tuition fee contribution in full. No contribution will be required from you or your family towards your fees.

The bursary is administered and paid by your local Student Finance NI office on behalf of the DHSSPS and how much you get depends on your income. You will also be able to get a reduced rate, non-income assessed loan for the balance of your maintenance support.

Graduate-entry medical courses

If you are attending a four year graduate-entry medical course (fast-track course) in England, Wales or Scotland you will not be eligible for a Health Service bursary or tuition fee support or a Higher Education bursary.

You may however apply to your local Student Finance NI office for support for living costs through student loans and certain supplementary grants for the duration of your course.

English, Welsh and Scottish students should contact the Student Finance NI office in Ballymena, by telephoning 028 2566 2280.

More useful links