Carer's Allowance - how to claim
This page gives you information on how you can claim Carer's Allowance if you are eligible.
Get a claim form
To get a claim form, you can:
- phone the Disability and Carers Service
- phone the Benefit Enquiry Line
- contact your local Jobs & Benefits office/Social Security office
- download a form below
- Disability and Carers Service (contacts section)
- Social Security/Jobs and Benefits offices (contacts section)
Call the Benefit Enquiry Line
This is a confidential freephone service for people with disabilities and carers. You can call the Benefit Enquiry Line and ask them to send you a claim form.
- Telephone: 0800 22 06 74 (for Northern Ireland residents only)
- Textphone: 028 9031 1092 (normal charges will apply)
The Benefit Enquiry Line is open from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. There is also a voicemail service where you can leave your details.
Claim form if you receive State Pension
If you receive State Pension, you can make a claim for Carer's Allowance using a shortened claim form. It contains help notes. If you want to claim extra money for a dependent adult, you should contact the Department for Social Development (DSD).
Download a claim form
There are two forms - a shortened version (DS700 SP) if you are receiving State Pension, and DS700 for anyone claiming who is under State Pension age.
- DS700 - Carer's Allowance claim form (PDF 271 KB)
- DS700 - Claim form notes
- DS700(SP) - Carer's Allowance claim form for carers who receive State Pension (PDF 152 KB)
- DS700(SP) - Claim form notes (PDF 166 KB)
- Help with PDF files
When to claim Carer's Allowance
You can claim if you look after someone who is getting or has recently been awarded:
- Attendance Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate of the care component)
- Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate as an addition to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
- Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the basic (full day) rate as an addition to a War Disablement Pension
Claiming other benefits and entitlements at the same time
If you qualify for Carer's Allowance, you may also be entitled to:
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
So you may wish to claim some of these benefits or entitlements at the same time as you claim Carer's Allowance.