Skip to content

How to pay for your tax disc

Information regarding the V11(NI) reminder issued by Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) alerting you to renew your tax and also details of how you can pay for your vehicle tax disc.

V11(NI) reminder to renew your tax

About three weeks before your tax disc runs out, you should get a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ V11(NI) reminder from DVA. Use the V11(NI) reminder to renew your tax by post or in person.

Ways to pay for your vehicle tax

Below are details of how and where to pay for your vehicle tax.

You can pay by:

  • cheque or postal order, made payable to DVA - if a cheque, given as payment for a vehicle licence is dishonoured, the licence will be void from the date of issue and the vehicle will be unlicensed
  • renewing your tax in a Post Office® branch - cheques should be made payable to Post Office Ltd
  • Post Office Saving Stamps - these can be used to buy your car tax at Post Office® branches
  • vehicle licence stamps sent by registered post to DVA (Licensing) (these stamps have been withdrawn from sale since March 2005 however any vehicle licensing stamps that have been purchased can still be used)
  • cash sent by registered post - if renewing your tax at a local office, you can pay by debit card (not a credit card)

Please note DVA cannot accept cash payments for £1,000 or over, for any single transaction.

More useful links