Skip to content

Communications aids

People with severe difficulties in speaking or writing can be helped by communication aids at home and work.

Types of communication aids

Communication aids include:

  • charts with pictures, symbols, letters or words
  • electronic voice output devices 
  • specially adapted computers

You may be able to obtain communication aids from:

Your local Jobs and Benefits offices and Job Centres can also help if communication aids are needed for work.

Contact your local Jobs and Benefits office or Job Centre and speak to an advisor.

Equipment is available through the Access to Work programme.

To find out more about communication aids go through your doctor (GP) to contact your local HSC speech and language therapy service.

Staff at this local service will, if necessary, refer you to HSC regional centres which are staffed by speech and language therapists, and sometimes occupational therapists.

The therapists can assess your needs and advise on the most suitable aid.