Skip to content

Carer's Allowance - how to claim

There is information below on how you can claim Carer's Allowance if you are eligible. There are a number of options available to you including telephoning for a form or downloading the form from this page.

Get a claim form

To get a claim form, you can:

  • telephone the Disability and Carers Service
  • telephone the Benefit Enquiry Line
  • contact your local Jobs and Benefits office/ Social Security office
  • download a form below

Call the Benefit Enquiry Line

This is a confidential freephone service for people with disabilities and carers. You can call the Benefit Enquiry Line and ask them to send you a claim form.

  • telephone: 0800 22 06 74 (for Northern Ireland residents only)
  • textphone: 028 9031 1092 (normal charges will apply)

The Benefit Enquiry Line is open from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. There is also a voicemail service where you can leave your details.

Claim form if you receive State Pension

If you receive State Pension, you can make a claim for Carer's Allowance using a shortened claim form. It contains help notes. If you want to claim extra money for a dependent adult, you should contact the Department for Social Development (DSD).

Download a claim form

There are two forms - a shortened version (DS700 SP) if you are receiving State Pension, and DS700 for anyone claiming who is under State Pension age.

When to claim Carer's Allowance

You can claim if you look after someone who is getting or has recently been awarded:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate of the care component)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate as an addition to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the basic (full day) rate as an addition to a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Claiming other benefits and entitlements at the same time

If you qualify for Carer's Allowance, you may also be entitled to:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You may wish to claim some of these benefits or entitlements at the same time as you claim Carer's Allowance.

More useful links