Skip to content

Abolition of the vehicle tax disc

You no longer have to display the paper tax disc on a vehicle windscreen. You still need to pay vehicle tax and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will hold a record on computer.

What does this mean for me?

To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you still need to pay vehicle tax and you will still get a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax.

If you have any remaining months left on your current paper tax disc, you can either remove the tax disc from your vehicle or display the disc until it expires.

Changes when buying a vehicle

When you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax is no longer transferred with the vehicle:

What happens if I sell a vehicle?

If you sell a vehicle and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

Vehicle tax refunds

You no longer need to make a separate application for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund when a notification is received from the person named on DVLA vehicle register that:

  • the vehicle has been sold or transferred
  • the vehicle has been scrapped at an Automated Treatment Facility
  • the vehicle has been exported
  • the vehicle has been stolen
  • the vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • the person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class

More useful links